Augmentative Communication and Assistive Technology (ACAT) Clinic
To make a referral, please call (617) 254-3800, ext. 5220.Contact Now
A child who has difficulty communicating due to severe disorders of speech-language production and/or comprehension can gain increased independence for active participation and engagement with augmentative/alternative communication systems and assistive technology equipment. A Speech-Language Pathologist and Occupational Therapist conduct the Augmentative Communication and Assistive Technology evaluations. These professionals:
- Evaluate a child’s current communication skills and needs.
- Assess a child’s physical capabilities and visual/perceptual abilities.
- Assist in AAC system design and training for both the AAC user and his/her family members, educational team, and other communication partners.
- Monitor the child’s progress.
- Assist in identifying funding sources.
- Provide re-evaluations.
Referrals are accepted from physicians, parents, public and private schools, therapists, and other health agencies/providers. Franciscan Children’s is a provider for most area insurers, as well as public and private agencies.