Our Volunteer Program at Franciscan Children’s provides volunteers with the opportunity to truly make a difference and to be the helping hands for our patients, students, families and staff.
Each year, we welcome amazing individuals, groups and organizations who generously dedicate their time and energy to our mission. We are grateful for their contributions that enable us to provide excellent care and education for children and families. As a volunteer, our goal is to assist you in finding a placement at Franciscan Children’s that best fits you!
Join our Volunteer Program in the convenient, accessible Brighton neighborhood of Boston. Learn how your talents can help… so every kid can!
- Must be 18 years of age
- Required to commit to 100 hours
- Complete Application and Agreement form (as well as two references and/or recommendations)
- Interview with Volunteer Services and Department Supervisor
- Must receive Medical Clearance before starting
- Required to Complete a Background Check
- Complete Volunteer Orientation and Department Training
Please take a moment to view our Volunteer Opportunities as we continue to add new volunteer positions.
If you are interested in any of our open volunteer positions, complete a Volunteer Application Form. Volunteer Services will review each application and schedule an interview with qualified applicants.
Contact the Volunteer Manager Stephanie Mace in the Volunteer Services Department with any questions Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at 617-779-1156, 617-779-1109 or Smace@FranciscanChildrens.org.
“This is a great job for anyone who loves to comfort and nurture kids and watch them overcome enormous hurdles to recover from serious medical challenges.” – Ellen, Volunteer
“I have made so many positive relationships with the children, parents and staff. It is a great feeling to walk into the [room] and have the children respond with smiles and hugs.” – Alyson, Volunteer
- Know what you want to get out of volunteering. You can volunteer in order to make a contribution, advance your career, meet new friends, gain recognition, or simply enjoy the personal satisfaction that comes from helping others.
- Know the environment. At Franciscan Children’s, our core values are compassion, excellence, and positivity. We want to provide our patients, families, and staff with an environment in which all children can reach their fullest potential and live their best life.
- Be realistic and clear about your commitment. It is easier to start small and increase your commitment than to have to back out because your schedule is overwhelming.
- Research our mission. Your role as a volunteer fits into our ability to provide a compassionate and positive environment for children with complex medical, mental health and educational needs. Sometimes what may seem like a small contribution to you makes all the difference to the people, department or program that you are assisting.
- Think about your skills, interests, and life experiences. We are a unique organization, and all volunteer skill sets, experiences and contributions are valuable to our quality of care. We hope you can utilize and enhance your skills through volunteering with us.
- Be honest about your desire for meaningful and satisfying work and the need to have acceptance and respect of the staff.
- Be willing to accept and give feedback. We encourage our volunteers to offer suggestions and recommendations for improvement as we are committed to excellence and innovation for our patients, students and families.
- Offer referrals. You can be an ambassador for Franciscan Children’s in your community by spreading the word about who we are, who we serve and what we do.
- Most important, HAVE FUN! Helping others is its own reward. Even a simple task is meaningful and makes an impact in the lives of the children and families that we serve.